17 Pinoys evacuated from Gaza


THE Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said that only 17 Filipinos were evacuated from the Gaza Strip out of the 108 that they hope to be moved Thursday morning.

Foreign Affairs Undersecretary Esteban Conejos Jr. said the 17 Filipinos were among the 250 foreigners that were transported using six buses.

Arroyo Watch: Sun.Star blog on President Arroyo

“The ICRC-led convoy of six buses with 250 foreigners including 17 Filipino nationals has just arrived at the Erez Crossing,” Conejos said.

He said Philippine Ambassador to Israel Petronila Garcia and the embassy team had been on standby at the Gaza-Israel border to meet the Filipino evacuees.

From the Erez Crossing, Garcia will bring the evacuees to the Allenby Crossing which is within the border of Israel and Jordan.

“Ambassador Garcia and the embassy team are at the Gaza border to meet the evacuees and ferry them to the Allenby Crossing at the Israel-Jordan border,” Conejos added.

The DFA official hoped that they would evacuate the 108 Filipinos in Gaza as tension between the two warring parties is expected to escalate further.

He said the planned evacuation of the 108 Filipinos have been coordinated with other countries that are also planning to move their citizens that were caught in the tension.

“All the 108 Filipinos have been advised to join the planned evacuation,” Conejos said. (MSN/Sunnex)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: