Timeline of Kidnapping

The following chronology was based on a Philippine National Police report released Friday.

June 7, 2008 (Saturday)
Ces Oreña-Drilon and cameramen Jimmy Encarnacion and Angelo Valderama arrived at 2:45 p.m. in Jolo town, the capital of Sulu province.

June 8, 2008: Day 1 in captivity
At 9:20 a.m., Drilon’s group was picked up at Sulu State College by professor Octavio Dinampo and Juamil Biyaw, also known as “Commander Mameng,” who was the group’s driver and guide. They proceeded to Barangay Adjid, Indanan, where three armed men met them at a waiting shed.
The group proceeded to a tapahan (copra dryer) and had lunch. Later the group was met a man known as “Putol,” after which the mobile phones of Drilon and company were confiscated by the armed men.
The group continued walking until they reached another abandoned nipa hut in Barangay Panding, Patikul, where they rested.
At this point a certain Roger Isha, believed to be an Abu Sayyaf member, took all their personal belongings.
The group resumed walking until they reached an abandoned mosque at Barangay Bungkaong, Patikul. They ate dinner, as they waited for a certain Commander Tek.

June 9, 2008: Day 2
Around 2 a.m., the group reached a nipa hut at the Sitio Datagkanmansarin, Barangay Dayaran, Patikul, where they slept.
Then at 6 a.m., Drilon was told that they were kidnapped. But she was ordered not to tell her companions or else they will be killed. They stayed in the area the whole day, when more armed people arrived.
At 5 p.m., the group resumed walking until they reached Tibig Bato, Barangay Darayan, Patikul. As Drilon’s group rested, their captors recited prayers.
Afterwards, the group continued walking for at least 30 minutes until they reached an abandoned house with no walls at Sitio Kanbadal, Barangay Panglayahan, Patikul, where they spent the night.

June 10, 2008: Day 3
At 6 a.m., the group continued walking for at least 15 minutes until they reached their final harboring site at Mount Tunggol in Barangay Pansul, Patikul.
It was during this time when the captors issued their first demand. The victims were tied up, and Valderama was told he was going to be beheaded if ransom was not paid.

June 12, 2008: Day 5
The police had no report about what transpired on June 11. But the day after, the captors again demanded ransom.
At 2 p.m. on the fifth day, Valderama together with 11 armed men left the area. When they reached Sitio Danasi, Barangay Sinumaan, Talipao, Valderma was picked up by Haider “Jun” Isnaji and two officers of the Philippine National Police.

June 13, 2008: Day 6
At 11 a.m., Valderama was brought to Zamboanga City aboard a Philippine Navy plane.
Then at 2 p.m., the crisis management team of Gov. Sakur Tan of Sulu was convened at the governor’s office, to discuss how Drilon and the remaining hostages could also be released.

June 14, 2008: Day 7
At 1 p.m., Jumail Biyaw, alias Mameng, was arrested by Task Force Comet in Talipao, Sulu, through the effort of an assistant secretary of the Department of Interior and Local Government.
Then at 2 p.m., a meeting was convened in Zamboanga City to plan the safe recovery of Drilon and company. Those who attended included the Interior and Local Government secretary, the national police chief, the police regional director, and various officials from region nine and the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.

June 15, 2008: Day 8
At 4 a.m., the kidnappers move with their hostages to an area near Sitio Pigih Daho, Barangay Bayog, Talipao, Sulu.

June 16, 2008: Day 9
This was the day when the Abu Sayyaf issued an ultimatum for ransom to be paid by noon the following day or else the hostages will be killed.

June 17, 2008: Day 10
At 10:10 a.m., the secretary of Interior and Local Government, the national police chief, and their staff arrived at the provincial office of the police in region 9. There they assessed the situation. The national police and the military agreed to launch an assault against the kidnappers, if the hostages are harmed.
At noon, the kidnappers extended the deadline for another 24 hours, and reports came in that the extension may be indefinite.
At 11:53 p.m., Drilon and the remaining hostages were released by the kidnappers at Sitio Danasih, Barangay Sinumaan, Talipao, Sulu. They were picked up by Jun Isnaji and four policemen.

June 18, 2008: Day 11
At 2:45 a.m., Drilon and others were flown from Jolo to Zamboanga City aboard two military helicopters. Maj. Gen. Juancho Sabban, Mayor Alvares Isnaji of Indanan and his son Jun accompanied the released hostages.
Between 3 a.m. and 3:40 a.m., Drilon and party arrived at Edwin Andrews Air Base in Zamboanga City and were met by the national police chief, Director Gen. Avelino Razon; Lt. Gen Nelson Allaga, commander of the Western Mindanao Command; and other police and military officials.
Drilon and her companions were brought to the Special Action Force Seaborne Office at Zamboanga City for processing and medical checkup. Doctors found them OK, except for mild dehydration and mosquito bites.
The Armed Forces and the national police, led by Task Force Comet, then launched pursuit operations against the kidnappers.
At 11:45 a.m. Drilon, Valderama and Encarnacion were turned over to Maria Ressa, ABS-CBN vice president for operations at Vista del Mar beach Resort in Zamboanga. Sen. Loren Legarda, who had been helping the negotiations for the release of Drilon and her companions for several days, was also present.
— Jefferson Antiporda(ManilaTimes)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: