Kin of slain tribal leader asks council’s assistance


MEMBERS of the Diarog family took the Floor  yesterday to ask for justice from councilors over strafing incident last month which killed Datu Domingo Diarog, tribal leader of the K’lata-Bagobo, and wounded his wife and two daughters.
Diolito Diarog, nephew of the slain tribal leader, said the council should dip its hands on the incident since it affected not only their immediate family but also other residents in Sitio Kahusayan, Barangay Guianga, Tugbok District as well.
After the attack last April 29, the 33 families in Sitio Kahusayan fled to other areas and lived in makeshift tents they built within the banana plantations. Without lands to till on and their livestocks left behind, the families relied on equally impoverished relatives and friends while some feed on bananas.
He said fear gripped the whole family after receiving reports that they would experience the fate of the tribal leader if they return home. The family is now under the custody of the non-profit organization, the Solidarity Action Group for Indigenous People (Sagip).
Diolito, who serves as the family’s spokesperson, said the threat became apparent last May 9 when two men, accompanied by their friend Datu Dokris, went to the office of Sagip but were chased off by its staff.
Later that day, Dokris apologized about his actions claiming that the two men forced him to help them.
Diolito said the incident is an indication that somebody is out to silence them.
The family firmly believe that Barangay Tamayong Captain Gregorio Canada, a member of Apollo C. Quiboloy’s group, has a hand in the strafing incident. Canada, however, denied the charge in an earlier interview with television news program over GMA5.
Jonas Diarog, another relative of the tribal leader, alleged that the barangay official offered him and his brother, Judy, P20,000 last March 4 to kill Diarog for his refusal to part with his two-hectare property for P50,000. Jonas, however, thumbed down the offer.
“He (Canada) said if we do not know how to use guns we could use bolos,” he said.
After the offcer, the threats and harassments against the Diarogs has been incessant, including the attempted burning of their farmhouse on March 19, April 4, April 8 and April 20.
Also with them at the city council yesterday where Domingo’s wife Emily and his son, Danny.
Councilor Victorio Advincula said the council is not the proper venue to tackle the peace and order concern because it is not something that needs legislation.
He said the matter should be directed to Mayor Rodrigo Duterte instead.
“As much as possible let us not keep this activity out of the floor of the session hall because the other party is also looking at us,” he said.
In the session last week, councilors Karlo Bello and Rachel Zozobrado called on the police to hasten the probe on the killing of Diarog. Bello also lambasted the military for blaming the New People’s Army on the incident without producing any probe.(MindanaoTimes)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: